Regal House Publishing, in conjunction with Regal House Initiative, is proud to present our RHP Summer Scholars Program.
Applications for our 2022 RHP Summer Scholars Program has now closed.
We regret to announce that our RHP Summer Scholars Program will not be offered in 2023.
The RHP Summer Scholars Program consists of a non-paid, three-month (June 1 to August 1) internship intended to introduce scholars to the ABCs of publishing. Broken into components that follow the publication of a book, the internship will offer mentorship and the opportunity to experience first-hand the basic aspects of the publishing industry:
- Overview of the Publishing Industry: What is independent, traditional publishing? What does a publisher do? Independent publishing is an exciting industry that, we promise, involves much more than appears on the surface.
- Acquisitions: How does a publisher decide which books to publish? Be a part of the RHP team and take a deep dive into the submissions process.
- Editing – Beginner: What skills must an editor have? Editing involves both intuition (what makes a story good?) and technical skill. From content editing to line editing to proofreading, interns will have the opportunity to learn about style manuals, style sheets, and how to communicate with authors throughout the process to help ready a book for production.
- Editing – Advanced: Interns will assist, under supervision, with the editing of a body of work in accordance with the Regal House Publishing style guide (which focuses on the Chicago Manual of Style). Once complete, the intern will receive detailed feedback on their work.
- Marketing: Marketing is as critical to sales as the book itself and it goes beyond a social media post. Learn about press releases, developing strong social media platforms, websites, podcasts, blog interviews, bookseller communications, digital review copy distribution, and more. Interns will have an opportunity to review marketing plans and to create their own marketing plan for a RHP title.
- The Business of Publishing: Learn about the “business” of publishing. What decisions must be made post-production? From print runs to managing inventory for distribution and website sales, this wrap-up will offer interns an “inside look” at the business side of publishing.
Each month, interns will be given assignments that allow them to interact directly with an actual RHP publication. In addition, interns will attend twice-monthly (generally, the first and third Mondays of each month) virtual meetings with Regal House Publishing’s editor-in-chief, managing editor, and invited guests (authors, guest editors, etc.) to allow for follow-up discussion and feedback on their work.
Who is the best candidate? Someone with:
- A strong desire to learn more about the book publishing industry
- Involvement in school activities/courses/jobs relating to literature and book publishing
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Above all, a passion for books!
The 2023 application will be made available March 1, 2023.
The 2023 RHP Summer Scholars will be selected April 15, 2023.